In this interview with Dr Kara Fitzgerald, Dr. Mark Newman covers the various specimen type and their respective utility and limitations, and the unique characteristics of the DUTCH test….
What you’ll learn in this podcast:
- Review of the different specimen for hormone testing- limits and advantages to serum, urine and saliva.
- The “eureka” of developing the DUTCH test. Why 4-point urine measurement for hormones (reproductive and adrenal) is a good idea for:
- The obese patient
- The hyper or hypothyroid patient
- Estrogen metabolites
- Tracking diurnal cortisol output- advantages over salivary
- Assessment of hormone replacement therapy using urine, saliva and serum.
- Conditions when this test shouldn’t be considered